Derry Imaging prides itself on making your first mammogram experience as easy and comfortable as possible so you’ll never hesitate to schedule your next annual appointment.
- Arrival: You will undress from the waist up and put on a comfortable exam top (be sure the snaps are in front!). Lockers are available to store your belongings.
- Prep Questions: The female technologist will bring you into the mammography exam room, where she will ask you simple questions about yourself and your family health history. This is a good time to mention if you have any concerning lumps or if you have had surgery or breast implants.
- Positioning: The tech will have you stand in front of the mammography machine and will adjust it to your height. She will ask you to take your arm out of one of the sleeves of the top so that your breast can be examined on the machine. You will be asked to lean in toward the machine to properly position your breast.
- Compression: The tech will gently place a device on top of your breast to allow for the necessary compression. She will ask you to hold your breath while the machine compresses the breast for a few brief seconds and takes the mammogram picture. Once the picture is done, the compression releases. The tech will adjust your position to make the process as comfortable as possible.
- Repeat: There will be four images taken of your breast—so, four different moments of adjusting, compression and release per breast.
The results of the exam will be sent directly to you and your doctor.
Tips for the Best Experience & How to Prepare
- It is best not to schedule a mammogram during your menstrual cycle if you experience tender breasts at that time.
- Do not wear deodorant, lotion or other powders the day of your exam. We will provide you with a deodorant pack to use after your exam.
- Wear a two-piece outfit so that you only have to remove your top.
- Go with a friend or relative—it could turn out to be an annual tradition: mammogram, lunch & shopping!
- Ask questions! When you schedule your exam, feel free to ask questions so that you won’t be needlessly worrying about what to expect. You can also check out our complete mammography FAQs.
It’s easy to put off your mammogram, but the truth is, they save lives. Early detection is the best protection.
Schedule Your First Mammogram Today!
You can self-schedule an appointment online from your computer or smartphone at whatever time is best for you. There are early morning, daytime, evening and Saturday appointments available to fit your busy schedule. If you have any trouble or need to schedule a mammogram for the same day, please call our office at 603-537-1363 during office hours.Click Here to Schedule